Where We Came From
Grace Lutheran Church is a member of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, and a congregation of the North/West Lower Michigan Synod. The Lutheran Church has its beginnings in the sixteen century with the efforts of Martin Luther and other reformers.
At the present time, global Lutheranism is the second largest Protestant denomination in the world, and a Lutheran community can be found in most of the nations of the world.
A Little Background on Grace:
In the early 1930’s, a small group of Lutherans in the Hastings area was gathering for worship in homes, and was known as St. John’s Lutheran Mission. In 1940 they called their first pastor and changed their name to Grace Lutheran Mission. Grace was officially organized as a congregation in 1944, as a member of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod, part of the English District. In the 1970’s, Grace was one of many congregations that separated from the LC-MS to form the American Evangelical Lutheran Church.
Our first building was erected in 1948 in downtown Hastings, on the corner of S. Jefferson and Walnut. In 1974, the present building was dedicated, and a new Fellowship Hall was completed in 1992.